Pulled Chicken Summer Salad
Summer is that time of year when vegetables start making a lot of babies and it's almost inappropriate how often they make babies, especially those scandalous tomatoes. And what do we do when this new life is brought into our unforgiving world? We take these babies away from their parents, choosing the juiciest and most beautiful ones, and we chop them up into perfectly sectioned pieces for a summer salad. Sorry vegans, but you take away more innocent baby vegetable lives than anyone else on this planet. #babyvegetablelivesmatter
Before you begin chopping/murdering vegetables, you'll want a refreshing drink. Grab the closest fresh herb you can find (not THAT herb) such as mint or basil and lightly bruise it with your fingers. If you want a sweet tang, crush up some berries and throw all of that and a couple ice cubes into water or club soda. Now you're ready. This recipe has several components but each one is very simple and flexible to your needs.
Handmade Pulled Chicken
- 1 chicken breast
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- half a lemon
1. Heat pan on medium/high and add olive oil.
2. Wash the chicken breast, dry it off, and sprinkle salt and pepper onto both sides.
3. When the pan is hot add the chicken and cook until golden brown on one side (approx. 5 minutes). Flip the breast over and add the chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cooking time varies, be sure to check the center after 10 minutes to see if there is any pink coloration left.
4. Once the center appears to be cooked, place the breast on a cutting board for 10 minutes to cool.
5. Pull the chicken apart using a fork or your hands. Squeeze half a lemon on the chicken and add more salt/pepper as you like. You can use it immediately or chill it for the future.
Lime and Basil Dressing
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- dash of salt and pepper
- handful of fresh basil
1. Mince the garlic or use a mortar and pestle to finely crush it.
2. Chop the basil into long, thin pieces.
3. Squeeze the lime into a small bowl and stir in the garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Alter based off of your preferences.
Summer Salad Base
You can use more or less of each ingredient and swap out for other veggies.
- 1/2 an avocado
- 6 baby carrots (not the babies, nooo!)
- 3 small tomatoes
- 2 slices of feta cheese
- half a cucumber
- 6 romaine leaves
- sprinkle of chia seeds
1. Shave your cucumber (ouch).
2. Chop the baby carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, and romaine into bite-size pieces.
3. Slice the avocado in half. Cube the section and use a spoon to scoop it out.
4. Throw it all into a bowl and crumble your feta cheese on top. Add the pulled chicken. Toss with Lime/Basil dressing. Enjoy on a hot day.
And there you have it. A Summer Salad with all the goodies and even better, vegans must feel guilty too. (Vegans I love you, but we can't continue to let you kill vegetables and their babies without having some sort of guilty conscience).
Happy eating my friends.